When it comes to choosing a dog, temperament is a key factor to consider. While some people prefer active and energetic dogs, others may prefer calmer and more relaxed companions. If you’re looking for a small dog with a mild temperament, you’re in luck! In this article, we’ll introduce you to 20 calm small dogs that make excellent pets. These dogs may be small in size, but they are big in personality and love. Let’s explore these gentle and mild-tempered pups!
The Best 20 Calm Small Dogs That Are Mild Tempered
- Cavalier King Charles Spaniel: This small breed is friendly, gentle, and adaptable. They love to be around people and are great with children.
- Shih Tzu: Known for their sweet and affectionate nature, Shih Tzus are great lap dogs and make excellent companions.
- French Bulldog: Despite their small size, French Bulldogs have a calm and patient temperament. They are loyal and love to be part of the family.
- Bichon Frise: These fluffy white dogs are known for their cheerful and calm disposition. Bichon Frises are great with kids and get along well with other pets.
- Cavalier Bichon: A mix between the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and the Bichon Frise, this breed inherits the calm nature of both its parent breeds.
- Maltese: Maltese dogs are gentle, loving, and enjoy being pampered. They are great indoor dogs and thrive in a calm and loving environment.
- Pomeranian: While Pomeranians are known for their fluffy coats, they also have a calm and friendly personality. They are great for families and individuals alike.
- Havanese: Havanese dogs are affectionate, friendly, and love to be the center of attention. They make great therapy dogs and are suitable for people with allergies.
- Boston Terrier: Despite their energetic appearance, Boston Terriers have a calm and friendly nature. They are known for being great with children and other pets.
- Pug: Pugs are known for their charming and affectionate personality. They are great companions and are always up for some cuddle time.
- Miniature Schnauzer: Miniature Schnauzers are intelligent and calm dogs. They are loyal, adaptable, and make great family pets.
- Shiba Inu: Shiba Inus are independent and calm dogs. While they can be a bit reserved, they form strong bonds with their families.
- English Bulldog: English Bulldogs have a laid-back and gentle nature. They are great with children and make excellent family pets.
- Scottish Terrier: Despite their terrier heritage, Scottish Terriers have a calm and reserved temperament. They are loyal and make great companions.
- Dachshund: Dachshunds may be small in size, but they have a big heart. They are known for their loyalty and affectionate nature.
- Pekingese: Pekingese dogs are known for their regal appearance and calm demeanor. They are great with children and make excellent lap dogs.
- Cocker Spaniel: Cocker Spaniels have a calm and gentle temperament. They are great with kids and get along well with other pets.
- Beagle: Beagles are known for their friendly and sociable nature. They are great family pets and get along well with children.
- Chinese Crested: Chinese Crested dogs have a calm and loving nature. They are great for people with allergies, as they don’t shed much.
- Shetland Sheepdog: Shetland Sheepdogs, also known as Shelties, are calm and intelligent dogs. They are great with children and make excellent family pets.
The Benefits of Owning a Calm Small Dog
Calm small dogs can bring many benefits to your life. Their relaxed nature makes them great pets for families with children, as they are less likely to be reactive or easily overwhelmed. They also tend to adapt well to different living environments, including apartments or houses with small yards. Additionally, these dogs are generally less demanding in terms of exercise, making them suitable for individuals with a more relaxed lifestyle.
How to Choose the Right Calm Small Dogs That Are Mild Tempered for You
When selecting a small dog with a calm and mild temperament, it’s important to consider a few factors:
- Lifestyle: Think about your daily routine and activity level. Some breeds may require more exercise and mental stimulation than others.
- Living Space: If you live in an apartment or have limited outdoor space, it’s essential to choose a dog that is comfortable in small living environments.
- Allergies: If you or a family member have allergies, consider breeds with hypoallergenic coats that shed less and are less likely to trigger allergies.
- Compatibility: If you have children or other pets, choose a breed that is known to be friendly and get along well with others.
If you’re looking for a small dog with a mild temperament, these 20 breeds are excellent choices. From loving lap dogs like the Maltese and Shih Tzu, to easygoing breeds like the French Bulldog and Bichon Frise, there’s a perfect calm small dog for everyone. Remember, when choosing a dog, it’s important to consider their temperament and compatibility with your lifestyle. With their gentle nature and affectionate personalities, these calm small dogs are sure to bring joy and happiness to any home they join.